Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Small Hopes - The Jerwood Drawing Prize 2006

The Jerwood Drawing Prize 2006 is administered by Wimbledon School of Art this year. This photograph which I made of the drawing after it had been framed, unfortunately shows reflections in the glass. I took it in to the Art School on the last day, along with many other hopefuls. I tried to take a look at their work so as to judge the competition! It is the first time I have entered a drawing here. There are centres all over UK for people to enter drawings for the Jerwood, and it is a prestigeous prize. Now I have to wait for another week before I get the dreaded polite letter: "Sorry you have not been selected this time. bla bla bla" But I keep on trying! The drawing is of the South Bank of the Thames near the Oxo Tower, and I made the sketches for it when I went to the free music festival Carnival de Cuba on 10 June this year. The next big festival near here is not until 16 September, the Mayor's Thames Festival. Last year I went to this and later did a small watercolour, of a salsa band playing near the Tower Bridge, just as it was getting dark. Posted by Picasa

No comments: