Thursday, July 27, 2006

JERWOOD DRAWING RESULT - AS I THOUGHT

Well I got the expected letter about my drawing, which I subitted to the "Selection Panel" of the Jerwood Drawing Prize 2006. The usual phrase followed the statutory thanks for submitting the work. "I am sorry to inform you that on this occasion your drawing(s) has not been selected for the exhibition." Apparently from a total submission of over 2,400 works (perhaps 2401?, surely they know exactly) they chose 47 drawings. I worked it out that if for every one of those entries, the artist paid £15, then the total entree fees would come to £36,000! Also 40% is the commission deducted from each piece of work sold. I know that everyone did not pay £15 per drawing because if you submitted 2 drawings, for instance, you paid £20, and £25 for three. Also there was a reduced fee for students. Even so, it seems like a money spinner and I only wish I had thought of the idea first.

How about the PAULI DRAWING PRIZE? First prize a trip on Eurostar (I think I could finance this out of the profits), with 45% commission being deducted by me from sales? I and a group of impartial neighbours would form the Selection Committee and the pictures would be on display in the waiting room of the local doctor's surgery and then on tour, viewed from the back of a friend's pick-up truck, round the local car boot sales. I guarantee national press coverage too!

Incidentally if anyone is interested in viewing, apparently the 47 drawings will be on view at the Jerwood Space in London on 20 September, "following which it would tour to Cheltenham, Birmingham, Durham, Bury St Edmunds and Cardiff".

No comments: