Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Georg Baselitz and Portraits

When I was at the RA today, 18 Sept, I noticed it was the Press day for the Baselitz exhibition. I had a good look through the doors but the attendent would not let me sneak in. What I saw was pretty arresting, very large stuff that hits you in the eye. Outside there are piles of books about the artist, the exhibition and also a big collection of postcards, birthday cards and T shirts with little bits of Baselitz. Wonder what it is like to be a serious artist and see your work cut up into little snippets to appear on greetings cards?

I want to go to one or two of the evening lectures but they are expensive. Cannnot do the ones on Mondays but there are three on Fridays.
On 2 November there is a lecture by Proff Richard Shiff from Austin, who 'presents Beselitz'v view of mdoern German history as a kind of dark comedy'. Also one on 26 October about 1920s cinematic German Expressionist movement and Baselitz.
When I was in Berlin last autumn I tried to see some German Expressionist works but there was little to see in the major galleries. It is strong meaty stuff and I wonder if it is dispersed all round the world like confetti or if there is a stash of it somewhere.

The main man himself is talking on 12 October. All of these talks cost £10 each and they actually throw in a drink of wine or such - since the wine in the Friend's room costs abougt £3.75 I suppost the talk is a bit of a bargain, on scond thoughts (or you could just bring a hip flask).

There are portraits of Royal Academicians too, in some beautifully restored room at the front of the building. I was interested to see one of Laura Knight when she was a mere slip of a girl, painted by the man who she later married. One other self-portrait by a women, but the rest are rather boring men. Not really worth going to see.

No comments: